107mm heavy field gun M. 1867

 

 

 

 

Bulgarian designation :

9-фунтово оръдие - бронзово

Russian designation :

9-фунтовая медная пушка обр. 1867 г.

Calibre :

106.7mm L/19.7

Weight of the barrel :

625.7 kg

Weight of the breech-block :

47.5 kg

Weight of the carriage :

322.3 kg (without wheels)

Weight in action :

1092 kg

Weight in marching order :

1657 kg

Barrel length :

2.097 m

Barrel grooves

number :

16

depth :

1.4 mm

width :

14 mm

Battering charge :

1.23 kg of black powder (full charge)

430 g and 280 g (reduced charge for cast iron shell)

670 g of smokeless powder

Cast iron s.

length :

2.15 calibres (230 mm)

weight :

11.08 kg charge : 410 g of artillery gunpowder

muzzle velocity :

320 m/s (full charge)

max. range :

4481 m (full charge)

Shrapnel

weight :

11.47 kg charge : 136 g

280/300 bullets x 10.6 g x 12.7 mm

fuze :

10 sec. time fuze M. 1875

muzzle velocity :

317 m/s

max. range :

2347 m

Canister shell

weight :

12.76 kg charge : 150 g of artillery gunpowder

213 bullets x 12.7 mm

muzzle velocity :

298 m/s

max. range :

3200 m

Case shot

weight :

10.4 kg 108 balls x 74 g x 24 mm

max. range :

533 m

Sharoha

weight :

? kg charge : 26 g

68 balls x 24 g

max range :

1707 m

Elevation :

+ 20 / - 730

Wheels

weight :

144 kg

height :

1394 mm

track :

1473 mm

Transport :

drawn by six horses

Ammunition :

limber : 12 shells

ammunition wagon : 36 shells

Remarks :

Russian bronze heavy field gun delivered in 1878, after the war of Liberation. The carriage was made of iron and had two seats for the gunners. It could fire both canister shell (картечна граната), an early model of shrapnel, and case shot. It could fire also a shell with spherical solid head (шароха) and an incendiary shell, which was employed by the Russian artillery only till 4 May 1875.

At first the sigh was not graduated according with the range, but was marked in Russian lines (2.54 mm) that did not correspond directly to the distance expressed in meters, for example a distance of 500 m corresponded to 6 lines, while a distance of 1000 m to 15, and not 13 lines.

In 1896 the artillery engineer lt. Stefan Slavchev carried out a plan to upgrade these guns. Their breech chambers were modified to use smokeless powder and the guns were equipped with arc sight. The changes were made in the Sofia artillery arsenal.