The Romanian Fortifications
In 1913, at
the end of Interallied War,
1. the forts around Bukarest, which converted the capital to a great entrenched camp;
2. the works constructed on the line of the River Sereth.
in the south there was a bridge-head at Cernavoda guarding the railway bridge
In 1914-16 some guns and howitzers were used to arm the newly acquired fortress of Silistria and the so-called Tutrakan bridge-head, to build the siege artillery batteries and to reinforce divisional artillery with 53mm QF guns.
The fortified line of the Sereth, covered a front of about
Although the works of the three strongpoints differed considerably in detail, the main principles were the same. There were a front line of batteries of light QF guns in movable cupolas, supported by a second, and in some cases a third line, consisting of guns, howitzers, and mortars of greater calibres, in disappearing turrets. The diversity of the models of the artillery pieces was a disadvantage, and matters were further complicated by the fact that Gruson and Krupp ammunitions of the same calibre were not interchangeable.
The fortifications were commenced in 1888 on the basis of a plan prepared by German major Maximilian Schumann, and were completed in 1893. The final cost of the defensive system was 26,422,640 lei.
In 1889-1892 to arm the works the Romanian Government ordered to the German firm Grusonwerg of Buckau-Magdeburg 46 - 120mm QF howitzer M. 1888, 18 – 120mm mortars M. 1887, 64 – 53mm guns in disappearing turrets, 182 – 53mm guns in mobile armoured turrets (Fahrpanzer), 15 charts for the Fahrpanzer, 4000 cast iron fragmentation shells and 2000 cast iron shrapnel for 120mm howitzers, 15,000 cast iron shells and 30,000 case shots for 53mm guns. Later were ordered 18 - 120mm mortars, 42 – 53mm guns in disappearing turrets, 32 – 53mm and 214 – 37mm guns in mobile armoured turrets to Grusonwerk, and 15 – 120mm guns M. 1885 to Krupp.
All the artillery pieces were placed in Gruson armoured emplacements, the heavy guns and the howitzers in armoured cupolas, the mortars were put in armoured casemates.
At first the
works was manned by 2nd battalion of the Siege Regiment, that on
10 May 1892 was expanded, becoming 1st Siege regiment. On 1
April 1913 it was disbanded, and replaced by three independent battalions. On
29 April 1895 the fortifications of the Sereth line were assigned to the
On 15 August
The fortifications of
of the first and second lines was composed of 53mm guns, the guns of the
first line were on travelling carriages mounted in concrete emplacements in
groups of three, those of the second line were mounted in small disappearing
turrets, six being grouped together to form a battery. The armament of third
line was not uniform : the groups Nr. 1-5 had an armoured battery for two
120mm howitzers, the groups Nr. 6-10 two armoured batteries one for two 120mm
howitzers, and the other for two 120mm mortars. The batteries Nr. 11 and 12
were armed like the last group, and were placed between groups Nr. 9 and 10.
The intervals between the batteries did not exceede
The armament was composed by 6 - 120mm mortars in spherical mountings, 24 - 120mm howitzers, 60 - 53mm guns in disappearing cupolas and 90 - 53mm guns in movable armoured turrets. The works were manned at first by 6th battery of the 2nd battalion of the Siege regiment with barracks near group Nr. 3, later by a battalion of the 1st Siege regiment and from 1913 by 1st Fortress Artillery Battalion.
The Nomoloasa works were upon the left
bank of the Sereth. The bridge-head covered several bridges, and barrred the
Jassy-Galati road and railway. The works, arranged in two lines, consist of 8
groups situated about
The total armament was 72 - 53mm guns and 16 - 120mm howitzers. The works were manned at first by 8th battery of the 2nd battalion of the Siege regiment, with barracks near group Nr. 3, later by a battalion of the 1st Siege regiment and from 1913 by 2nd Fortress Artillery Battalion.
The entrenched camp of
As a rule the works of the first line were composed by three batteries with five concrete emplacements armed with 37mm QF guns on travelling carriages. Nevertheless there were some differences in the number of the pieces assigned to the batteries, that varying between 10 and 16 guns. The second line was composed by six armoured batteries armed with 53mm QF guns in disappearing turrets, and for the groups Nr. 10 – 15, also by an armoured housing for one 120mm gun and two 120mm mortars. The batteries of the third line existed only for the groups Nr. 1 – 9, and were armed with one 120mm Krupp gun in disappearing turret and two 120mm howitzers. The independent group to the north-west of Focsani, named group 0, covered a crossing over the River Putna, and contained 4 Gruson 120mm howitzers.
between the batteries varied depending on the ground, but never excedeed
The total armament was 4 - 120mm howitzers, 15 pairs of 120mm mortars in spherical mountings, 15 - 120mm Krupp guns, as well as 90 - 53mm guns in disappearing cupolas and 214 - 37mm guns in travelling shield mountings. The entrenched camp was manned at first by 5th and 7th batteries of the 2nd battalion of the Siege regiment with barracks near groups Nr. 3 and Nr. 8 respectively, later by a battalion of the 1st Siege regiment, and from 1913 by 1st Fortress Artillery Battalion.