The coast artillery during the Balkan Wars
beginning of the Balkan war the coast defences of the
4 150mm L/12 Schneider-Canet howitzers M. 1897/1905 (from Shumenski battalion),
8 24 pdr long Russian guns M. 1867 (from Vidinski battalion),
3 24 pdr short Russian guns M. 1867 (from Vidinski battalion),
12 9 pdr Russian guns M. 1867 from (from Vidinski battalion),
6 75mm Krupp not QF field guns M. 1886 (from Shumenski battalion),
10 57mm Gruson turret guns M. 1892 (2 from Shumenski and 8 from Vidinski battalion).
On 22 September
Only two of the fortress batteries in position along the coastline were able to fire to an attacking fleet: 1st 24 pdr battery was placed on 7 October 1912 at Tash Tabia and later, on 9 October, near Sv. Konstantin monastery, where were placed also 2nd 150mm Schneider howitzers battery of the Shumenski fortress battalion.
To defend the
September 1912 Col. Rusi Ludogorov,
who had been the head of the Black Sea Fleet since 31 May, was appointed head
During the war the Turkish Navy made some raid along Bulgarian coastline, shelling the ports, and sometimes landing little detachments, that were always easily repelled. The coast artillery had little chances to fire against the enemy fleet.
On 8 October when a Turkish squadron composed by the cruiser Hamidie and Medjidie and two destroyers of the Yadighiar-i-Millet class shelled Ekrene, Sv. Konstantin and Evskinograd, the 24 pdr battery placed at Tash Tabia (2nd Lt. Hristo Kamenov) fired fourteen rounds against them. Unfortunately its fire was too short, and the shells fell on the coastline, west of the sanatorium, in a sector held by the Vidinski Opalchenie battalion.
On 11 October
the 240mm battery fired two salvos against the Turkish cruiser Medjidie: at 2h
At the beginning of November 2nd 150mm Schneider howitzers battery of the Shumenski fortress battalion was assigned to 2nd Army, and took part in the siege of Odrin. On 23 February 1913 the Burgas garrison was strengthened with 1st and 2nd batteries of Shumenski fortress battalion.
of Thracia caused a lot of problem to
At the end of
the war the
The main contribution was offerd by Shumenski fortress battalion, that sent also some units formed with war trophies. On 17 April 1913, 1st 150mm L/30 Krupp battery with 2 guns was deployed at Dedeagach, while the third gun was attached to the 2nd battery of the same regiment. On 28 May it was followed by a 87mm not QF battery armed with Turkish guns. On 10 June came also 1st 150mm howitzers battery, and two batteries armed with Turkish weapons taken at Odrin : one with two 150mm L/14 howitzers, the other with ten-barrel machine guns. Sofiyski fortress battalion sent one of its 150mm L/30 Krupp battery with two guns.
At Portolago the Bulgarian garrison received 1st battery of 9th not QF artillery regiment and a ten-barrel machine guns battery with 4 pieces, while a 150mm howitzers battery from Sofiyski fortress battalion was sent to Seres.